Let the adventure begin!
It’s time to gear up for Crescent Elementary’s annual Geography Bee, which is open to students in grades 4 through 6. The following is an information packet for students, teachers, and parents. Crescent’s geography bee is a school level bee and is run consistent with the rules and guidelines of the National Geographic Bee.
The geography bee is an exciting opportunity to display knowledge of geography in its broadest sense. Some questions will require knowledge of place-names, cultural and physical features, and the distribution of languages, religions, economic activities, and political systems. Students may be asked about cultural and physical regions or physical phenomena, such as tectonic activity, landforms, climate, bodies of water, soil, plant, and wildlife.
All questions in the Preliminary Round geography bee are multiple choice. The majority of questions in the Final Round are also multiple choice; however in some rounds a choice of answers is not provided. For example, no choice is provided in the continents round. In the Final Round, finalists may miss one question and are eliminated on their second missed question.
The Preliminary Round will take place in each classroom Wednesday, May 2, 2018. This round is a written test of multiple-choice questions and each teacher will administer the same test. The classroom teacher will grade the Preliminary Round tests for his or her class and forward the classroom results to the grade level Geography Bee representative: Grade 4 – Mrs. Moore, Grade 5 – Ms. Walker, and Grade 6 – Mrs. Kelly. Classroom results and individual student scores will not be provided until final grade level results are announced by Mrs. Tamaki. The announcement of finalists will be made on Tuesday, May 8, 2018.
The preliminary round scores will be analyzed across each grade level. The 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students with the highest scores, school wide, as determined by their score on the Preliminary Round geography test will advance to their grade level’s Final Round Geography Bee:
- 4th Grade: Tuesday, May 21st at 1:15 p.m. in the Cafeteria
- 5th Grade: Tuesday, May 18th at 1:15 p.m. in the Cafeteria
- 6th Grade: Friday, May 20th at 1:15 p.m. in the Cafeteria
Download the packet for more information: 2017/18 Crescent Elementary Geography Bee Packet
The following websites will be helpful in your preparation:
- National Geographic Bee: Today’s GeoBee Quiz: * This link has 10 new multiple choice geography questions each day.
- Geography Games: * This link provides an array of geography games on capitals, states, and landscapes of the USA and the world.
- Easy-Print Atlas (Printable maps online): *Customize one-page maps and download, email, print, or share!
- Online Geography Quizzes: *This link provides multiple choice questions on a variety of geography facts.
There are surely many excellent geography “apps” for mobile devices, as well. Please share with Mrs. Moore any helpful “apps” you find. Thank you!
This post expires on Friday June 15th, 2018 12:18am